Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (Aachen,1886-Chicago,1969) was a German architect. From 1904 to 1907 he joined the office of interior designer Bruno Paul. He began his architectural career as an apprentice at the studio of Peter Behrens from 1908 to 1912, where he was exposed to the current design theories and to progressive German culture, working alongside Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier, who were later also involved in the development of the Bauhaus. Mies served as construction manager of the Embassy of the German Empire in Saint Petersburg under Behrens. After World War I, Mies began, while still designing traditional neoclassical homes, a parallel experimental effort. He joined his avant-garde peers in the long-running search for a new style that would be suitable for the modern industrial age. While continuing his traditional neoclassical design practice Mies began to develop visionary projects that, though mostly unbuilt, rocketed him to fame as an architect capable of giving form that was in harmony with the spirit of the emerging modern society. Boldly abandoning ornament altogether, Mies made a dramatic modernist debut with his stunning competition proposal for the faceted all-glass Friedrichstraße skyscraper in 1921, followed by a taller curved version in 1922 named the Glass Skyscraper. He continued with a series of pioneering projects, culminating in his two European masterworks: the temporary German Pavilion for the Barcelona exposition (often called the Barcelona Pavilion) in 1929[9] (a 1986 reconstruction is now built on the original site) and the elegant Villa Tugendhat in Brno, Czech Republic, completed in 1930. He joined the German avant-garde, working with the progressive design magazine G which started in July 1923. He developed prominence as architectural director of the Werkbund, organizing the influential Weissenhof Estate prototype modernist housing exhibition. He joined the avant-garde Bauhaus design school as their director of architecture, adopting and developing their functionalist application of simple geometric forms in the design of useful objects. He served as its last director. In 1937 Mies settled in Chicago, Illinois where he was appointed head of the architecture school at Chicago's Armour Institute of Technology. His early projects at the IIT campus, and for developer Herb Greenwald, presented to Americans a style that seemed a natural progression of the almost forgotten nineteenth century Chicago School style. His architecture, with origins in the German Bauhaus and western European International Style, became an accepted mode of building for American cultural and educational institutions, developers, public agencies, and large corporations. A great ehibition dedicated to him by Moma, represented the final consecration of his fame.

Related products

Promo

BAUHAUS CLASSICS - Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe MI27 - Armchair with metal Frame, upholstered in leather

Previous price: 2.150,00 -35%-5%

Promotion price:

1.327,63 VAT included
CLASSICI BAUHAUS_MI27_Armchair with metal frame, covering in leather, rivestimento in pelle

Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe 1927-32

- 100% Made in Italy -

This chaise longue is chronologically the most recent project by Mies. It was initially produced by Bamberg Metalwerkstätten, and later by Thonet, that manufactured ...
Promo

CLASSICI BAUHAUS - Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe - Barcelona MI34 - Armchair

Previous price: 2.200,00 -35%-5%

Promotion price:

1.358,50 VAT included
CLASSICI BAUHAUS - Barcelona Chair MI34

Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe 1929

- 100% Made in Italy

This armchair, together with the stool, was designed for the Barcelona International Exhibition of 1929 for which Mies designed the German pavilion including the furniture. Two armchairs of this model were to have ...
Promo

BAUHAUS CLASSICS - Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe MI15 - Metal chair with arm rests, leather seats fixed with laces and springs

Previous price: 660,00 -35%-5%

Promotion price:

407,55 VAT included
CLASSICI BAUHAUS_MI15_Armchair with metal frame, seat and back in leather

Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe 1927

- 100% Made in Italy -

Exhibited for the first time with a leather back and seat at the Weißenhof in 1927, it was produced until 1930 by Berliner Metallgewerbe Joseph Müller, and from 1931 by Bamberg ...